Tuesday, October 12, 2010

It's All the Same to Me!!! :)

Everybody knows that pictures can say 1000 words.  Here are some that say, perhaps, even more than that!!! :)
 
Middles Eastern Dance is a sport just like running or swimming.  I find it interesting that we as people see an individual wearing nothing more than a small piece of cloth, accept, and then dismiss this apparel as "normal", for it is simply their athletic attire.  Don't get me wrong, I too see nothing wrong with these pictures, because as an athlete, I understand that certain clothing, or lack thereof, is important in being successful in certain sports.  
Everybody gets excited about the Olympics, but if we think about it from a slightly different perspective, it is a time when we spend hours staring at people who are wearing very little.  Every sport has a uniform that best protects or benefits the individual participating.  I grew up playing soccer, a sport that required extra equipment in order to help protect the players.  This is very different apparel than those who participate in gymnastics, who need to wear minimal and tight fitting clothing that does not get caught during the procession of their various routines.  What you wear while participation in a sport is extremely important.

One of those sports is belly dancing!  Since most of the dance is centered around the lower abdomen, torso or hips (where the center of gravity usually lies in females), it is important for the individual dancing to wear attire that suits the various moments of the dance.  For me personally, I notice a HUGE difference between going to my dance class in a tank top, and practicing at home in a sports bra.  When the stomach is un-covered, I can see the movements clearly which helps me to learn the dance easier and more correctly.  Also, I can see my abdominal muscles working, an aspect of this sport that I find fascinating. ;)  When the dancer is aware of her own movements, it is easier to produce a dance that is fluid and beautiful.
Doing belly dance in gear that covers the stomach is like riding a bike while wearing a snowsuit.  It is possible, but it certainly does not make the task at hand very simple.  In this type of dance, the exposure of the "belly" is what makes the various movements flow, making the dancer/athlete successful in her dance!!!

4 comments:

  1. I agree that each sport requires a different set of gear to be successful at it, and that dancing is a sport. I think that the outfits worn by belly dancers do help them to excel in their sport.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnnaLee,

    It's nice to hear somebody agree with me on this topic:) I was just talking with my roommate, and she was saying how she partially agrees. Her concern was that she wasn't sure if guys viewed belly dancers' attire the same way they would for instance, the Olympic runner's outfit in the picture I posted.

    Perhaps I should do a survey for one of my posts...hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never though about it that way. It makes sense that others from the US would look down towards belly dancing, because we come from a culture where dance such as belly dancing, would be seen as a, lets just say not so wholesome dance. But for the middle east it is a sport just like you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marlena,

    I honestly hadn't thought about it that way until just the other day! It just sort of hit me, and I asked the question...If people accept these other sports, or even just activities that require minimal clothing to be worn, then why does everybody make a huge deal out of the stomach, only, being show in a dance?

    I grew up in an extremely conservative family, and had a skewed opinion about belly dancing before taking a class this summer, because I didn't know anything about it. I understand why people have the wrong impression about belly dancing, but it still bothers me that people give it a bad label without knowing anything about it. I suppose everybody is entitles to their own opinion :)

    ReplyDelete