Friday, November 5, 2010

Lets do a Lil' Mixin'!!!

This last week I attended a faculty dance performance on BYU campus.  Much of the performance was modern dance, a style of dance I had never seen before.  Something I found fascinating was that there were a lot of dance moves I saw that were either similar or identical to those used in belly dancing.  This realization inspired me to view dance from a new perspective.  

Although I have never participated in any other type of dance in a formal setting, I have learned a little bit of various dances throughout my upbringing.  Some of my favorite types of dance are swing, country, hip hop, Latin, ballet, ballroom, B-boyin'/ B-girlin' (what everybody knows and refers to as "Break Dancing"), etc.  
When I realized that there were similarities between Middle Eastern Dance and the dance performance I had seen, I started pondering about various dances and wondered if there were any similarities between them and Belly Dance.  This is what I found....


Here are only four dances I have found similarities in.  Any other ideas???

4 comments:

  1. I am really impressed you made that video. Also I never knew that dancers have a preferred hand gesture for gracefulness, thats cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're impressed with my video?!?! That makes me SOO happy because I enjoy making movies; I'm glad others enjoy my work as well!

    I didn't know that dancers have a preferred hand gesture until a few months ago when I saw it and was trying to imitate it. :) I'm still working on it though, because that hand position doesn't come natural to me in the least bit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your video too!! I think that is really cool that you could relate all those types of dancing together, I do a lot of dancing but I've never done or seen any belly dancing besides what I've seen in your movies on here. But I'm sure there are similarities between all different types of dance. I took history of dance last year and all dances generate and are developed from different styles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's really interesting, Krystalee! Thanks for your compliments and educational input about the origin of dances! It's nice to have somebody comment on here who also has a passion for dance! :D I'm glad you liked my video as well!

    ReplyDelete